Full-time position as of spring 2019 in Amman
The American Center of Oriental Research (ACOR) is a U.S. non-profit academic institute located in Amman near the University of Jordan. It promotes research and publication across disciplines. ACOR’s core activities include an academic fellowship program and cultural resource management projects. The center also serves as a meeting and living place for academic researchers and hosts a major library, as well as regular public lectures and outreach activities. There are currently 18 full-time staff members in Jordan and one in the United States, as well as 15 staff for USAID SCHEP (Sustainable Cultural Heritage Through Engagement of Local Communities Project) as implemented by ACOR. See www.acorjordan.org for more information.
Job Description: ACOR is seeking a capable individual to be the Administrator starting as soon as possible. The primary role of the Administrator is to ensure the smooth running of the center’s administrative affairs, including the management of the ACOR hostel, and to coordinate with relevant staff in the areas of designated responsibility. The Administrator works closely with all staff and is under the direction of the Director and the Chief Financial Officer.
Priority Tasks for the Administrator:
- Office Administration and Facilitation (internal), including reception, billing, cash register, inventory control, and email exchanges
- Administration (external), including insurance contracts, government letters, banking, shipping and courier services, custom clearances, quotation for services or purchases
- Interface with ACOR Staff, including maintaining personnel files, processing payroll, and email triage for senior management and coordinating housekeeping and kitchen staff
- Management of ACOR Hostel, including reservations, hostel services, airport transfers, follow up on bills and payments, and tracking requests
Qualifications and Experience
- Fluency in English and Arabic is a must (in reading, writing, and speaking)
- B.A. or B.S. degree
- Administrative experience (minimum 3 years)
- MS Office Suite and database competency
- HR skills desirable
- Attention to detail, good listener as well as self‐starter
- Evidence of effective planning and organizing of work flow
- Interest in cultural heritage (not required but beneficial)
- Jordanian citizenship or valid residency and work permit in Jordan desirable
To Apply: Applicants should send a current resume including the names of two current references and a letter expressing interest addressed to ACOR Director, Dr. Barbara A. Porter, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. This position will be filled as soon as the selected candidate accepts.
Basic Terms and Conditions: This is a full-time rolling position based on the successful completion of a three‐month trial period and annual review. Regular hours of work are Sunday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The salary range is 800 to 1400 JD per month based on prior experience. Benefits include Jordanian health insurance and social security and Jordanian labor law applies.
American Center of Oriental Research (ACOR) in Amman
P.O. Box 2470
Amman 11181, Jordan
ACOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.